Great news for fans of Sega Genesis games who don’t actually want to play them on a Sega Genesis, as Pier Solar HD has been released today for PS4, PS3, PC and Ouya. From the adorably named WaterMelon, Pier Solar HD is a remake of the 2010 Sega Genesis turn-based RPG — the only freshly developed game on the console so far this millennium.
Check back later in the week for our review and scope the features below:
– A 100% Original RPG! Pier Solar was developed from the ground up. An original world, storyline, soundtrack, characters, enemies, and battle style. No ports, translations or copying from any other game – it’s all fresh! The first original 16-bit RPG to do this in over a decade!
– A Massive World to Explore! Pier Solar has 50+ hours of gameplay, over 300 locations, nearly 500 unique treasure chests, and over 800 NPCs!
– Director’s cut! Pier Solar expands what was the biggest 16-bit RPG Ever! We released Pier Solar on a custom 64MEG cartridge (the average SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis game size is 12MEG), making it the biggest 16-bit RPG ever! This allowed us to push the 16-bit medium to a precedent setting level, with state-of-the-art aesthetics and things like full-screen cut scenes, background scaling and 3D modes. But Pier Solar HD is more than just a port, the game is getting a Director’s cut, and includes an expanded story with new locations and challenges, that couldn’t fit on its original Sega Genesis/Mega Drive release.
– Epic Battle Tactics! We developed an innovative battle system that puts you in control of up to five characters and includes in-depth strategic moves such as counter-attacks and a special strategy called Gather, which stores energy to unleash even more powerful moves and spells!
– Translated in 6 Languages! Pier Solar is translated in 6 languages: English, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German.
– An Original Soundtrack! A beautiful soundtrack written just for Pier Solar that embodies everything great about a classic retro soundtrack!
– There Are Surprises! We also packed-in many other surprises and secrets like hidden areas and mini-games!