Dead Cells is the roguelike that keeps on giving and shows no signs of slowing down, especially with its twenty-sixth update today, which is something to celebrate. It might seem odd to celebrate an update that has a non-round number like that, but Motion Twin and Evil Empire have still apparently decided to throw a little party and invite some of their friends over, with this being the “Everyone is Here!” update. The main attraction is a book at the start of the game that gives players new challenges which, when completed, rewards them with the outfits of characters from a fellow metroidvania or roguelike game.
The characters included are the protagonists of titles that range from now-legendary indies like Guacamelee!, Hollow Knight, and Hyper Light Drifter to modern gems like Blasphemous and this year’s Skul: The Hero Slayer and Curse of the Dead Gods. In addition to the character outfits, new “lore rooms” have been introduced that contain collectable weapons and skills that pay tribute to these games as well in various ways. They include:
- Hollow Knight’s Pure Nail, with can attack upward and downward and allows you to bounce off of enemies and deal critical damage when attacking downward while airborne.
- Blasphemous’ Face Flask, which lets you crush a flask on your forehead and deal a low amount of damage to yourself, but turns thirty-five percent of the now-missing health from it into recovery.
- Hyper Light Drifter’s Gun and Sword, where the gun marks targets while damaging them, and the sword can then deal critical damage to marked targets, with more damage for each mark (the sword also recharges the gun’s ammo with each hit).
- Guacamelee!’s Pollo Power, granting the skill to turn into a chicken for a few seconds and fire off several explosive eggs.
- Skul: The Hero Slayer’s Bone, which may not sound impressive, but the second attack with this bone club creative a whirlwind attack that deals critical damage.
- Curse of the Dead Gods’ Machete and Pistol, which has the machete slash twice before the pistol fires on the third attack, bumping enemies and dealing critical damage to them. And if that isn’t enough, you can hold down the attack button for a slow yet powerful ranged attack.
You can check out the new friends and the skills they provide in the trailer below, plus the game’s official site for a more in-depth list of everything included in the update. In addition, to celebrate the update, Dead Cells is currently forty percent off on Steam, and is part of a new Indie Friends bundle there as well that contains Dead Cells, Guacamelee 2, Skul: The Hero Slayer and Curse of the Dead Gods, which gets you twenty percent off all games included. The “Everyone is Here!” update is live now for PC players, and will arrive on Mac and consoles soon.